Sick of chocolate this Easter? Why not try an alternative with Mallory Court’s Pastry Chef, Patti’s delicious Easter biscuit recipe? Entertain the kids over Easter with some Easter baking and this easy to follow recipe suitable for the whole family to join in with making…
You will need:
80 g butter
80 g caster sugar
1 egg yolk
1 egg white
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
50 g currants
20 g mixed peel
180 g plain flour
3 tbsp milk
Beat softened butter with caster sugar together until light and fluffy, then beat in egg yolk. Add cinnamon, currants and mixed peel and mix to combine, then beat in milk. Add flour and mix to a stiff dough. Roll out the dough to 6mm thick then cut out biscuits and transfer to a baking sheet. Gather up the trimmings, roll and repeat. Brush the surface of the biscuits with egg white, then sprinkle with sugar. Bake on 160 degrees Celsius for 12-14 minutes until golden.
Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
If you’re looking for something a little more challenging why not try our delicious Easter Simnel Cake recipe instead?
You will need:
250 g mixed peel or mixed dried fruits
1 orange – zest & juice
1 lemon – zest only
250 g butter
200 g light brown sugar
180 g self-raising flour
100g ground almonds
2 tsp mixed spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, gloves..)
85 g glace cherries
3 tbsp apricot jam
400 g marzipan
- Put the mixed peel & clace cherries in a pan with the lemon zest, orange zest & juice and 30ml water. Gently heat until the water has been absorbed and the fruit has rehydrated. Set aside to cool.
- Butter a baking tin and line with baking parchment and preheat the oven to 130’c.
- Beat the butter & sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, flour, almonds, & mixed spice all together and beat until smooth and well combined.
- Fold in the soaked fruit and the glace cherries.
- Roll out the marzipan and cut a disc the same size as the tin. Pour half of the cake mixture into the lined tin and top with the disc of marzipan. Then pour the remaining cake mixture on top and level with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 2 hours. Then allow to cool for 20 mins before removing from the tin.
- Once the cake is cool brush it with the warm apricot jam and then roll another disc of marzipan and use it to cover the top of the cake. Use the off cuts of the marzipan to shape into 11 equal sized balls and place these evenly around the outside of the top of the cake.
Happy Baking! We hope you enjoy these recipes as much as we do here at Mallory Court. If baking isn’t really your thing, why not try a take-away afternoon tea from Mallory Court this Easter? A delicious treat for the whole family to enjoy in the comfort of your own home and garden! To see menus and book online click here, alternatively give our team a call to order on 01926 330214.