the history of mallory court hotel
From the beginning...
Mallory Court was built in 1916 for James Thomas Holt, who had made his fortune producing cotton in Preston and had decided to retire to Warwickshire. The architect was P Morley Horder whose houses were largely in the Home Counties and the Cotswolds (including Lloyd George’s home) and he had already designed one home at the Tachbrook Estate known now as Greys.
P Morley Horder was one of a group of early twentieth century architects who were highly influential in re-introducing the romantic vernacular styles of the Elizabethan period. Many of his homes were in the style of Edwin Lutyens, having gables, stone dressings, mullioned windows and inglenooks.
After Holt’s death in 1936, the house was sold to Captain (later Sir) John Black, Managing Director of the Standard Motor Company. He immediately set about increasing the amenities of his new home with such additions as the oak panelling in the dining rooms, the outdoor pool, the squash court and an extra bath in the main bathroom, which is now part of the Blenheim Suite.
In 1956, John Anthony Dunbar Lucas, who owned a jewellery factory in the town, bought the house as a private home for his family. It remained a family home until it was purchased by Alan Holland and Jeremy Mort in 1976 for £77,500, who subsequently invested much time and energy in realising the full potential of this remarkable house.
In 1995, the hotel was sold to international hi-tech entrepreneur Sir Peter Rigby, under whose ownership Mallory Court has been significantly developed with the addition of a new wing of Master Bedrooms in 1998, the opening of the Knights Suite in 2004, the launch of the Brasserie at Mallory in 2005 and the newest luxury spa in Warwickshire opened in early 2017.
To this day, Mallory Court has a proud reputation throughout the world for its friendly and unobtrusive service and rigorous attention to detail, and continues to go from strength to strength as one of the most beautiful Country House Hotels in England, serving as a home from home for its many regular guests.